Neighborhood News

Make the Right Call: 911 or 311

Emergency situations can happen at any time, but it’s important to know when to call 9-1-1 versus 3-1-1. If you or someone else is in immediate danger, or if a crime is in progress, call 9-1-1 right away. If you need to report a non-emergency situation, such as a noise complaint or a broken streetlight, call 3-1-1. By calling the appropriate number, you can help emergency services respond quickly to those who need them the most.

9-1-1 emergency services

Call 9-1-1 when a situation requires immediate police, fire, or emergency medical response.

For Police Services

  • When there is a crime in progress
  • When there is an immediate threat to life or bodily injury
  • When there is major property damage or loss due to crime

For Fire Services

  • To report a fire
  • To report hazardous material incidents
  • To initiate the rescue of a trapped person

For Emergency Medical Services

  • To report life-threatening medical emergencies that require an ambulance including, heart attacks, asthma attacks, or automobile accidents with injuries

3-1-1 non-emergency services

Call 3-1-1 to request City Services and to report situations not requiring an immediate emergency response.

For City Services

  • To request City services and report problems (i.e., rodent baiting, street lights out, graffiti removal, etc.) or to check the status of service requests.
  • To request shelter services.request well-being checks or to locate warming/cooling centers

For Alternative Police Response

  • To report a situation that does not pose an immediate threat to life, bodily injury, or major property damage or loss
  • To file a police report
  • To report a situation that does not require an immediate police response including pick-pocketing, auto theft, etc.
  • To find out what police district and beat you live in, as well as the date, time and location of your next CAPS Beat Meeting
  • Other offenses when the suspect is no longer at the scene

Suspicious Activity for Non-Emergency

Suspicious Activity for Non-Emergency

  • Call 855-RPRT-2S-4 (855-777-8274) to report non-emergency suspicious activity or packages in the City of Chicago and Cook County.

For Any Observed Behavior that Could Indicate Terrorism or Terrorism-Related Crime

  • Unusual items or situations: Out-of-the-ordinary situations
  • Eliciting information: A person questioning at a level beyond curiosity
  • Observation/surveillance: Someone pays unusual attention to facilities, events or buildings beyond a casual or professional interest
Lincoln Park Uncorked

Stay in touch

Trying to keep up with everything that's happening in your Lincoln Park neighborhood? Subscribe today for email updates based on your interests.